Thursday, February 9, 2012

Personal Goals

As a child and even as a teenager, a lot of my goals were far-fetched, and some were even fairy tale like. I was unaware of the various curb balls and side tracks that life throws at you. I refused to think realistically as my mother put it, if all that meant was working as a mechanic or a plumber (nothing against these professions it’s just not for me!) I guess you can say I was unfocused, and didn't learn the meaning of goal setting and following through with things until later on in life. Like a lot of kids I didn't learn from being told what to do, it was more of a lengthy trial and error process, perhaps it was just the course of growing up and maturing that made me learn to make compromises as well as get more organized, but nonetheless I woke up one day and a light bulb went off in my head! I was always involved with Music growing up, and I had my eyes set on becoming a DJ. Now that my musical goals are coming into fruition I have learned to adjust my goals accordingly. First I obviously had to buy the equipment, but then I realized that in order to achieve my long term goal I had to do a dozen smaller ones, that would help in the process. I had to become good at public speaking, I had to create a financial plan, I had to create a marketing plan, I had to learn the ability to make decisions quickly. None of these things came easily for me, I recently just completed my business plan, and I am still working on completing my other goals. One important thing I have realized is my weaknesses; I don't see my short comings as losses (after all terrible things happen to everyone), only as areas where I need some improvement, I guess what it all boils down to is being persistent, passion and patience, the first step is figuring out what you want to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment