Thursday, February 9, 2012

De Niro's Game

De Niro's game named after the famous actor (you guessed it ) Robert De Niro , is one of my favourite books of all time. I remember the day I came across this book, I was working a 12 hour grave yard shift, as a security guard somewhere in Whistler, and needless to say I needed a way to pass time. So I headed to the book store, I cant really remember what drew me towards it amongst the hundreds of other books but somehow we managed to find a way to each other. De Niro's Game is a coming of age story about two young men , amidst a war in Lebanon. Rawi Hage whom this novel is by did a great job of creating the tone of the story, and he left a very raw and vivid image in my mind, as I read along. Rawi was able to paint pictures with words perfectly. What I found most appealing about this book was that some of the characters reminded me of people I knew growing up, George was living life in the fast lane, indulging in drugs, driving fast cars, and simply put not caring about the world and its consequences. While Bassam the protagonist worked long hours for little pay, and hoped to leave the war torn city one day. The Two boys lived rugged lives, while dodging bombs just to go to school or to grab a bag of chips from the local mini mart. Neither of the boys were model citizens, but that is what I found fascinating about this book, it didn't shy away from the fact that they were products of their environment, they did what they had to do to survive. I was also reminded that teenage guys are the same wherever you travel to in the world, no matter what the conditions are, we all like to chase girls, and dress in cool outfits, and we all get in trouble once in awhile "Boys will be boys" as the saying goes. Any ways to talk about the plot any more would be giving it away, and I encourage everyone to read it. This book was definitely a page turner, and I finished the book after only two shifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment